Friday, April 13, 2012

Mexican Pizza

I was trying to think of what to make for dinner last night.  I wanted something relatively easy but something that we haven't had in the past few weeks.  So I thought and thought and then remembered a while ago I had a Mexican pizza at a Mexican restaurant that I enjoyed so I thought I'd try my hand at it.  I found a recipe from food.com that I loosely followed.  The recipe I used is below.  Enjoy!



Mexican Pizza

Crust

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (or 1 yeast packet)
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons agave nectar (or white sugar)
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup bread flour (or if you don't have wheat flour you can use 2 cups bread flour)

Dissolve yeast in water until it gets foamy, about 5-10 minutes.  Add olive oil, salt, and agave.  Mix well.  Add in flour and mix until stiff dough forms (may need to add a little more flour).  Form dough into ball, place in a bowl, cover with a dish towel, and let rise for 30 minutes.

Topping

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/2 jalapeno pepper (remove seeds to decrease spiciness if kids will be eating)
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix (recipe can be found here)
Kosher salt
Cornmeal, for dusting
1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese (3 ounces)
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
1/4 cup green onions
1 cup shredded lettuce
Sour cream

Directions

Set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°. In a food processor, combine the olive oil, black beans, jalapeno pepper, garlic clove and taco seasoning and puree until smooth.

Once the pizza dough is done rising stretch it into a 12-inch round and transfer to a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel. Spread the black-bean puree on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with the cheese, tomatoes, and green onions.

Slide the pizza onto the preheated stone and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the bottom is crisp and the cheese is bubbling. Transfer the pizza to a work surface and top with the lettuce and dollops of the sour cream. Cut into wedges and serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment