Saturday, February 23, 2013

Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce

As with any other sauce I prefer a homemade enchilada suace over a canned or store bought version.  In my opinion almost anything tastes better when it is made in your own kitchen from scratch.  I have tried a couple different homemade enchilada sauces and this one is my fav.  I found this recipe here.  This sauce freezes well so you can save some for a meal in the future :)  Isn't that great?  I love it when I open my freezer and find nice surprises, like frozen sauces, that make whipping a nice healthy homemade dinner up with no fuss and minimal time so easy!  I hope you enjoy this sauce as much as I do!


Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce


1 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons wheat flour
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin



Directions



In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chili powder and flour whisking constantly to combine. Mixture will be a thick paste (roux).

Slowly add in a small amount of tomato sauce whisking until the roux has dissolved. If you don't whisk, it will end up a lumpy mess! Once the roux is combined, add the rest of the tomato sauce and vegetable or chicken stock. Whisk to combine.
Add in the rest of the spices, stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and use in your enchilada recipe, or cool and divide into containers for storage.
Can be refrigerated for up to a week, or frozen for 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment