Sunday, February 17, 2013

Carrot Pineapple Muffins

Carson and I took a couple hour drive last week and visited my great friend Lindsay in Tucson while Ryan stayed home and studied for a week full of tests.  It was great to see her and her cute family! She is an exceptional cook so when she busted out a carrot pineapple cupcake recipe I knew I would have to come home and try my hand at vegan and refined sugar free option.   Here is what I came up with, they are WONDERFUL!!  I put a glaze on top that was made with sucanat but I put too much liquid in it so I had to add a bunch of cornstarch to thicken it up, so next time I make these and make a glaze that has correct ratios of ingredients I'll post that :)

Carrot Pineapple Muffins

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (if you don't have this you can substitute for another 1/2 cup of flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut or grapeseed oil (I have used both and it turned out great both ways)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 chia or flax eggs (1 tbsp ground chia or flax seeds in 3 tbsp water, mix together well and let sit 15 minutes in fridge.  Make two of these)
  • 1 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and shredded (squeeze carrots after they are shredded to release the excess water)
  • 1/4 cup canned pineapple (if the pineapple is in big chunks run it through the blender to break up into smaller chunks, include juice in 1/4 cup measurement as well)

Directions

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a medium sized bowl.
  3. 3. Using a mixer or whisk, beat the honey, vanilla extract, applesauce, coconut or grapeseed oil,  and chia or flax eggs until thoroughly combined.
  4. 4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
  5. 5. Add the carrots and pineapple and beat until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  6. 6. Line 12 muffins cups with liners
  7. 7. Scoop batter into cups, filling 3/4 full.
  8. 8. Bake for 30 minutes 
  9. 9. Cool
  10. 10. Spread top of each muffin with icing

No comments:

Post a Comment