Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Refried Beans

This is an America's Test Kitchen recipe that I LOVE!!!  I used to make this all of the time and then forgot about it until a week and half ago when I was thinking of something healthy I could serve on a tortilla for my little boy that didn't involve cheese. I racked my brain for what I could use and during church I remembered this recipe, it was pure inspiration...church is a great thing :) I have already made this 4 times again since then. This is great on tortillas or as a dip with chips, we eat it either way and all but snarf it down.  Yum!  Hope you enjoy! 



Refried Beans

5 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water 
1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (orginal recipe calls for 3 cans we use 2)
1/2 teaspoon salt (can add more if you want)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 jalepeno pepper, chopped and deseeded (optional)
tabasco sauce (optional) 
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions

Process the beans and water in a food processor until smooth.  I use my blendtec and run it through the "sauces, dips, and batters" cycle.  Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.  Once oil is heated add the onion, jalapeno (if using), and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook until fragant about 15 seconds.  Stir in the pureed beans and cook until the beans are thickened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the cilantro and tabasco if using.  Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment