Friday, November 9, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Trifle

Even though it is still 90 degrees here in blessed Arizona I have been having huge cravings for fall desserts and dishes.  Ryan told me this morning I need to get off my pumpkin spice kick...I guess we have been having too much pumpkin...pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice trifle.  My family will benefit when fall is over :) This year the idea of a pumpkin spice trifle came to mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it until I finally made it.  We all loved it, even Ryan despite him being sick of pumpkin :)  I found the recipe for the pumpkin cake/bread here.  It is a vegan recipe and really easy to make.  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Spice Trifle

1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 Cup Sucanat (I ground mine up in my blender for a few seconds so the bread wouldn't have a gritty texture)
2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Spice
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Pureed Pumpkin
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons Light Vegan Butter (Melted), I used Earth Balance
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Water
1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar, I used regular white distilled vinegar


Whipping Cream

2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3-4 Tablespoons Sucanat

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside.  Mix all of the wet ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk together until all ingredients are well incorporated.   

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and and mix with a rubber spatula until the batter is well mixed and free of any lumps.  

Pour batter into a greased bread pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.  Insert toothpick in middle of bread, if it comes out clean the bread is done, if not bake for a few more minutes or until toothpick comes out clean of any crumbs. 

Once bread is done cut up into 1/2 inch slices and let cool.  While the bread is cooling whip the whipping cream and sucanat together until soft peaks form.  

Place a layer of cooled bread on the bottom of a trifle dish.  Top that layer of bread with a layer of whip cream.  Add another layer of bread and top that with another layer of whip cream, do this until you have 3 layers.  Chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment