Tuesday, October 2, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Vegan Butterhorn Rolls


My little babe was sick a couple of weeks ago, so we were avoiding all dairy products for a while so that we could make sure his little lymphatic system was working properly and not getting clogged up with a bunch of mucous (which dairy creates in the body).  So I searched and searched for a vegan butterhorn roll recipe that was 100% whole wheat...well unfortunately I didn't find one.  So that means I had to come up with one on my own.  And it turned out pretty good.  We enjoyed them and I felt great knowing my babe wasn't consuming dairy :)  Enjoy!

100% Whole Wheat Vegan Butterhorn Rolls

4 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 3/4 cups warm almond milk (or whatever non-dairy milk you want to use)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
4 1/2- 5 cups whole wheat flour (I only used 4 1/2 but if dough is too sticky use a little more)
4-6 tablespoons vegan butter (if you don't care about it being vegan you can use normal butter)

Directions

Dissolve yeast in almond milk (I heat my almond milk up in the microwave for about a minute before I dissolve in yeast) until the yeast starts to foam.  Add olive oil, honey, salt, vital wheat gluten, and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.  Mix well.  Mix in remaining flour until it makes a stiff dough. I let my dough knead for about ten minutes.  Allowing the dough to knead for a longer period of time allows the dough to rise better. 

Let dough rise for about an hour.

Punch down dough and separate into four equal sections.  Roll each section into a circle and spread with a vegan butter. Then cut each section up into 16 pie-like slices (I use a pizza cutter) and roll up. 

*If you are not planning on using all of the rolls at once after after this step you can place rolls on a cookie sheet and freeze all the rolls you won't be using and then when you want to use them pull them out and let rise for 3 hours and then bake*

Put  rolls on cookie sheet and let raise for 3 hours.  

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment