Friday, August 24, 2012

Penne Pasta With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

I got this recipe last fall here.  It is a recipe by Emily Duffy at the Emporium kitchen at Thanksgiving Point.  I really like this recipe and it is easy to make.  I always make this when red peppers go on sale.  My baby loves this and will eat tons of it when I make it.  I always use a little more parsley and basil than the recipe calls for and fresh herbs taste a lot better in this recipe than dried.  You can find basil by all the herbs in a refrigerated section at the grocery store, it will probably be in a little plastic package.  And the parsley is always next to the cilantro.  Enjoy!


Penne Pasta With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

1 box penne pasta (I use whatever pasta I have on hand-as you can tell by the pic)
6 red peppers roasted
1 tbsp tomato paste (I never use this)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pasta water
3 tbsp olive oil, separated
3 basil leaves, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes (if I don't have these on hand I don't worry about it and serve it without)
shaved parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Quarter and seed red peppers.  Place them skin side up on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil.  Roast at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until skin is browning and bubbling.  Remove from oven and cool slightly.  Place roasted peppers into a food processor or blender with 2 tbsp olive oil, tomato paste, salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth. 

In a large saute pan, heat remaining olive oil.  Add chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes.  Add minced garlic and cook for a minute longer.  Turn heat to low and add blended sauce and reserved pasta water.  Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.  Toss with cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, and parsley.  Top with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately. 

(If you wanted to make this vegan don't add the cheese) 

No comments:

Post a Comment